[openstreetmap-website] Implement `geo:` URLs for sharing (#799)

Hans-Christoph Steiner notifications at github.com
Mon Dec 29 18:26:04 UTC 2014

I agree that this would be quite useful.  `geo:` is the future for sharing location, but indeed, its not implemented everywhere yet.  From what I've seen, it is spreading fast.  Here's some relevant info on `geo:` that I have found: Google Maps on Android supports `geo:` URIs, as well as Osmand.

* the RFC: https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5870
* the vCard standard supports `geo:` http://geouri.org/2010/06/10/geo-and-vcards/
* Android frameworks: https://developer.android.com/guide/components/intents-common.html#Maps
* Android map apps: Google Maps, Waze, Google Earth and probably others

Perhaps this feature could be beta tested by making OSM give the `geo:` URI on apps/platforms that are known to support it (e.g. all Android, specific browsers, etc).

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/799#issuecomment-68283144