[openstreetmap-website] Add an overpass based query tool (#721)

Tom Hughes notifications at github.com
Mon Mar 17 09:56:36 UTC 2014

I did try your first suggestion but I couldn't make it work in a reasonable way. There are a number of problems:

* Unless you draw the line for a way very think it can be quite hard to position your mouse over it to trigger the highlight.
* Some objects on the map relate to more than one feature (where nodes and ways are part of a relation for example) so it is not clear which feature to show when hovering over it.
* It means coming up with some different style to indicate the highlighted item - currently we only have one style we're using for objects except for the cases of areas (eg in the history tab) where we highlight the area with a light coloured fill.

Note that I wasn't actually doing popups (though that would be possible) but rather was making mouseover the object on the map highlight the item in the sidebar, as that is more consistent with how other parts of the site work.

As I explained above, the issue with leaving the click highlight in place is doing so in a way that won't clash unreasonable with the map features when they are drawn. I realise that removing it is not ideal (which is one reason I tried drawing the features all the time as you suggest) but don't currently have a better idea that seems to work.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/721#issuecomment-37799090