[openstreetmap-website] Simplify sign up (#894)

Tom Hughes notifications at github.com
Wed Feb 11 15:17:14 UTC 2015

Well I'd really like to understand the use case first.

The claim seems to be that Jane Smith is using an app that just uses OSM map data and that app then encourages her to sign up just so that she is "joining the community". There seems to be little reason for the app to do that though, either for her, for us, or for the app author.

She gets signed up to a web site she is probably never going to use. Sure a few people may go on to use it in ways which need the login, but has getting lots of them to sign up actually increased the proportion that actually go on to really use it?

We get lots of new users, most of whom will probably just sit on our books and never be active.

The app author gets (no matter how simple the signup flow is made) an extra flow of complications and support calls from any issues that arise with the signup, and probably some kickback from people who object to being pushed into signing up.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/894#issuecomment-73897711