[openstreetmap-website] Simplify sign up (#894)

alexilisei notifications at github.com
Wed Feb 11 16:22:17 UTC 2015

I don't agree that "joining the community" is a bad reason for signing up. Once the user sign ups and sees how things work, chances are that he'll become a contributor. A good example for this would be Waze, I don't think anyone sign ups to report speedcams and police cars, but to have access to the crowdsourced information. Once the user gets that sense of community, chances are that he'd start to contribute, why not.
If a mobile app manages to execute that well, OSM would still get a decent amount of contributors and many non-contributing users, which doesn't seem like something bad to me.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/894#issuecomment-73910584