[openstreetmap-website] Deactivating the Notes layer after activating it via "add note" is unintuitive (#867)

vincentdephily notifications at github.com
Mon Jan 12 12:24:01 UTC 2015

I don't know the internals, so I'll just discuss the user-visible behavior.  We agree on the basics with @math1985, the tricky case is the user's recently added note suddenly disappearing after adding it.

One way to look at it is to do nothing : the user might be surprised to not see his note, but he'll see it again when he tries to add the note again.

Second option is to leave all notes open after clicking "add note" (as opposed to clicking the cross).

Third option is to leave only the newly-created note visible, but that may be too much trouble for what it's worth ?

While we're at it, what about following an [url to an existing note](http://www.openstreetmap.org/note/276303) ? Currently it doesn't activate the note layer, and closing the left panel makes the note disappear. I think the behavior when following a url should be consistent with the behavior when creating a new note.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/867#issuecomment-69562573