[openstreetmap-website] OWL Activity Tab (#876)

PaweĊ‚ Paprota notifications at github.com
Tue Jan 20 09:26:17 UTC 2015

> I think it's far too early to be worrying about the rails integration for this

In my opinion - yes and no. Yes because even when I created this pull request I knew it will not be merged, perhaps ever, at least not in the shape it is in. On the other hand, as you can see from the commit history, I started the integration quite early. This is because it's rather hard to work on OWL API without having any visualization of the whole thing. I figured - why make another separate project/application when I can try to get this stuff into Rails Port? Or at least kick off a discussion about what/if people want this kind of features on the main site.

> Not a bad idea to at least think about the UI, as ideally we want the UI to lead the API and implementation rather than the other way round.

Exactly. I tend to whine a lot about how hard OWL is to implement, scale etc. But it really is the case here that one simple frontend feature (example: showing previous geometry) can mean tons of work, thinking, testing, optimizations on the backend side of the API. So I'd rather get some feedback / bikeshedding early and adjust the API so it's possible to implement most of the requested features.

For that I need to setup OWL API on zark (or some other capable server). @zerebubuth said yesterday that he will try to get a server machine up and running for this.

> Isn't it more of less the same as http://owl.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org ?

Yes, it is the rebased-to-master version of that.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/876#issuecomment-70625898