[openstreetmap-website] www.openstreetmap.org broken on IE8 (#931)

davidearl notifications at github.com
Mon Mar 16 15:46:19 UTC 2015

It's F12 like in Chrome. It's very much like the Chrome debuggger. They call it 'emulation' on the tab, and it's the next step on from compatibility mode: you select which version. It's not perfect, especially when it comes to @font-face and file downloads, but in this case the bug is absolutely visible using it and because it's so blatant and it used to work, I expect it won't take that much to find it. I can see that it is loading two tiles (though they aren't actually visible, the positions are first and second on the top row), only. I have seen similar problems when I've got something wrong setting up leaflet in such a way that its stylesheet doesn't load. At a wild guess I'd suspect it's the routing addition that broke it.

I'm very happy to check it out any fix on a real IE8 - though it's not hard even on Linux to set up a VirtualBox virtual Windows XP to test it - MS provides XP/IE8 virtual images at https://www.modern.ie/en-gb/virtualization-tools#downloads (as well as many others - you could check the most recent IEs this way). But where bugs are evident in the IE emulator, that's an easier way to deal with them in IE11 because it has a far better debugger, pretty much on par with Chrome or Firebug.

And to answer your last question, misaligned boxes and text and things (typical of the silly differences in older IEs) aren't important, though it makes it look rather unprofessional, but being actually able to see the map at all would be a good start. I don't think it would matter much if the editor(s) didn't work, especially if it said to people that it didn't work.

I wish I didn't have to worry about IE8 either, but key players are still using it in many of the things I do (nothing to do with OSM). As you know, the problem is there is no upgrade path for IE8 on XP, and the lack of MS support for XP seems to come second to having no money for LAs. They could use Chrome, but they keep saying they have systems that require IE (though they were saying this about IE6 and have still been able to be dragged screaming to IE8). (I only mention IE7 BTW as I was interested to see whether it was different from IE8 as that might offer some clue; but I don't think it does).

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/931#issuecomment-81751248