[openstreetmap-website] In certain situations, closing the pane with information about an element moves the center of map to a different position (#729)

Tom Hughes notifications at github.com
Thu May 28 08:10:32 UTC 2015

@dracos You're talking about one specific example, but there are many different paths you can take which produce different results. What we need before trying to fix anything is a concrete specification of what the intended results are.

The reason the map sometimes moves back when you close the sidebar is that is sometimes moves when the sidebar opens, and when it does it needs to move back when the sidebar closes. If you just stop it moving back in this case you will probably break a case where it was meant to move back.

Extra complications come if you open the sidebar in a mode where the map is supposed (?) to move and then transition it to a mode in which it wouldn't normally have moved - should it move back immediately in that case? or only when you eventually close it.

The whole thing is a mess, and insanely fragile. I've attempted to fix it many times - some of those fixes and have been committed and some have been abandoned. I have now reached the stage where I am unwilling to touch it at all without some kind of clear specification of what the overall intended behaviour is.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/729#issuecomment-106224740