[openstreetmap-website] suppress creating accounts by bots/scripts (#1083)

Andy Allan notifications at github.com
Mon Nov 9 19:15:49 UTC 2015

@katpatuka Yes, a captcha would be nice, but as far as I know there aren't any non-proprietary, effective captchas available.

I investigated this a few months ago (with respect to the wiki, not this site) and I found https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit provides a good, up-to-date overview of the options. I don't think we'd go for the only one on that list marked as "high" effectiveness (English-only, potential for adverts), and ReCaptcha always has the problem that by using it, we're helping Google create a proprietary map dataset!

If anyone knows of an effective, non-proprietary captcha then that would be very useful.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1083#issuecomment-155161037