[openstreetmap-website] Footway, path, combined description. (#1087)

AllroadsNL notifications at github.com
Tue Nov 17 20:20:27 UTC 2015

Yes, that is mentioned, red dotted line is wrong.

The translation of footway to Dutch "Voetpad" is correct! no problem, the Dutch law use the a traffic_sign=NL:G7 and use the name "Voetpad".
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/thumb/0/0a/Nederlands_verkeersbord_G7.svg/50px-Nederlands_verkeersbord_G7.svg.png
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NL:The_Netherlands_roads_tagging#Overige_wegen_en_paden
http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0004825/Bijlage1  "Voetpad"
access only by foot.

Pad
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NL:Kaarteigenschappen#Paden

Because in the map default names highway=footway and highway= path, are combined with one dotted red line, then "Voetpad" is not correct, so then is "footway" is not correct as a legend name for that red dotted line, I think in more language the same effect a conflict.

The default name "path" is translated in Dutch "pad" where other vehicles are allowed.

This is a result of merging the two types of roads.
We must create a new name to express both ways. That then can be translated to Dutch and other language.
Or render both. But that decision is been made for the default map. Maybe must be turned back.
Then no new name is needed. Just path and footway.

It is like you render cycleway and bridleway the same color and in the legend how do we express the
description with a name.
Of course footway and path, feel more closely, but then it is even difficult to express the difference in a name. So that both highway's is recognized in the name.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1087#issuecomment-157495197