[openstreetmap-website] Accept geo: URI in search and/or other parameter (#1123)

Mikael Nordfeldth notifications at github.com
Fri Jan 1 14:08:30 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-01 14:54, Tom Hughes wrote:
> I assumed a "protocol handler" was a piece of code, that would be able
> to process the URI as part of handling it.

Ah, no I meant of course (as you now understand but for anyone else
reading) the mechanism in a browser (or other) that registers when
you're clicking a hyperlink which protocol this goes to (http, irc,
gopher or - in this case - geo).

> It is just another URL that you can substitute into then?

Yes, the way it is added for irc: and ircs: in Firefox can be seen in
this commit:
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/e144dd6cd801

   # The default set of protocol handlers for irc:
   gecko.handlerService.schemes.irc.0.name=Mibbit

gecko.handlerService.schemes.irc.0.uriTemplate=https://www.mibbit.com/?url=%s

So if we get them to add OSM.org it would be something like:

   [...]uriTemplate=https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=%s

or something else (like '/#%s' or '/geouri?%s' or however it's desirable
to accept the geo: URI).

--
Mikael Nordfeldth
XMPP/mail: mmn at hethane.se
OpenPGP fpr: AE68 9813 0B7C FCE3 B2FA  727B C7CE 635B B52E 9B31

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1123#issuecomment-168308987