[openstreetmap-website] Accept geo: URI in search and/or other parameter (#1123)

danstowell notifications at github.com
Sat Jan 2 15:22:55 UTC 2016

It seems to me that triggering a search is not really what you want to do, since a "geo:" query has one definite result that you want to go directly to. You don't really want to trigger a search for those co-ordinates. Even though OSM knows to offer the direct co-ordinates as the first result, you still get a results page rather than the map you wanted. Therefore I'd suggest it's a bit meaningless to try to overload this into the search feature.

BUT I agree that it would be nice if OSM could understand geo: URIs, especially given the example of firefox default handlers. One option might be to add a separate new parameter. An alternative *might* be to overload the `#map=` parameter so it understands geo: URIs as a special case, so the template would be:

         uriTemplate=https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=%s

This overloading might not be favoured by the main OSM devs, especially as that parameter is core functionality. But one argument in its favour is that if a geo URI is specified then we don't really want a rival `#map` location to be specified - since then we'd have to decide which one wins.

(This is all assuming that the feature is desirable and that mozilla etc don't want to preprocess the query for us...)

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1123#issuecomment-168400295