[Rebuild] Diff creation suspended until April 9th+ ?

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Wed Apr 4 12:50:18 BST 2012

So we have the answer to Roland's question. It seems the decision on diffs was to go with my suggestion. If you missed the blog post: http://blog.osmfoundation.org/2012/04/04/api-read-write-returns/  The diffs are back at a new location: http://planet.openstreetmap.org/redaction-period/  and the main tile server continues to update from these.

So I suppose the advice now is...

Services which give useful feedback to mappers should probably be swapping to consume diffs at that location. (How are we doing with this swap-over? Anyone we should be pointing this out to?)

Services which are taking awesome OpenStreetMap maps to the wider public should probably not do this (stay static until later)

Services which do a bit of both will need to decide what's more important, helping mappers to see where the ugly gaps in the map are, or avoiding the wider public seeing ugly gaps in the map  :-/

We're assuming anyone leaving their server to passively consume diffs is more likely to be the latter.