[Rebuild] update 25 April

Fri Apr 27 20:43:07 BST 2012

At 2012-04-25 13:20, Richard Weait wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Rebuilding continues.  Redaction tests are still being refined.
>According to best estimates we are close to cracking this, but it's a
>complex area - passing tests will be the benchmark here.  Of the
>remaining tests,  five concern nodes, seven concern ways, five concern
>relations and 1 relates to significant tag changes.  There were more
>than 20 commits[1] to the license change branch of the code this week,
>from four authors. Your contributions are welcome.
>
>Once the tests are passing, live data testing will be conducted
>against a test server that is already configured and waiting. Subject
>to a successful test, a bounding-box test of the live database will be
>processed, most likely for the island of Ireland. After this
>successfully processes, the rest of the data set can be processed to
>completion.

I'm sorry to be dramatic, but this is scarily imprecise!

What happened to the idea of giving notice before working on the live
database? What about the areas of the world previously identified where
there is a large percentage of data that would be redacted? This is
UNACCEPTABLE to mappers in those areas, as it should be to the rest of the
project.

Also, while some originally objected to the huge amount of license-related
discussion going on on the talk list, it seems like important things like
progress updates need a wider audience than just the rebuild list.