[Rebuild] Proposal: Meeting to discuss action plan for switch

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:12:03 GMT 2012

Dear potential rebuilders,

We've had some good suggestions on here so far, but there's a danger
that everybody is waiting on everybody else to actually bring things
forward. What's clear is, whoever is going to reach the conclusions
and do the work is on this list and there is enough risk in the
rebuild project that we oughtn't to hang around.

On the LWG call last Tuesday it was suggested that we devote this
week's LWG time (though not necessarily the usual time slot) to
bringing together those inclined to step forward with wisdom or brawn
that can be expended on making and effecting the action plan for the
changeover. I was asked to arrange and facilitate the session.

My suggestion - that we have a show of hands from those on this list
who want to be a part of doing this work indicating when during this
week you would be available to "meet" and what format of meeting you
would favour (options that I can think of for now are IRC or
conference phone call but perhaps there are others). At a guess, a
European evening may hit the biggest range of time zones.

Please contribute your thoughts on what agenda we should have, but my
own provisional suggestion is:

Discussion of suggested methods to date for suitability based on the
following criteria:

* Ability to hit April deadline
* Ability to offer the community the much demanded "certainty" of
methodology ASAP
* Ability to let us, if we have to, refine our criteria between now and April
* Minimization of risks to running DB and API
* ...whatever others you can suggest.

For action items we can agree immediately, an action list with owner
and deadline.

Open issue list with owner and deadline for when to discuss it further
(also who to discuss it further)

My availability: Any evening this week, Tuesday-Friday, ideally at
19:00 GMT, phone or IRC

Please be speedy in your replies to give us the best flexibility in
choosing a good time slot.

Thanks,
Dermot