[Rebuild] Progress update

Thu Jun 21 17:57:04 BST 2012

Richard wrote:
 >...Given people's constraints on time and the community's (understandable)
 >desire for the redaction to get underway asap...

I've seen no such demonstration of desire. The only thing we real mappers
are discussing is anxiety over exactly what will happen and when, and the
huge amount of data that is tainted and will be lost when this thing is
shoved down our throats.

At 2012-06-21 08:02, Evin Fairchild wrote:
>There is still a lot of remapping to be done, especially in Los Angeles area
>where there are several mappers whom have not accepted the new license...
>...  Are you
>guys really willing to let this much data go down the drain?  There is also
>a similar issue in other cities and countries, including London, Germany,
>and especially Poland.  What is going to be done about all this data?  And
>why didn't the OSMF step in and help, since they were the ones forcing this
>upon us?

And Richard responded:
 >Evin - this is a list for technical discussion of the rebuild project. If
 >you have policy or mapping questions, there are more suitable channels,
 >in particular legal-talk at openstreetmap.org and osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org.
 >Thanks.

Is this really the problem? Have we been "barking up the wrong tree?"
The osmf-talk list isn't even in the list of lists - you have to know it's
there and then go to http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osmf-talk, and
it apparently requires approval by a human administrator to get onto it.

Is that the "community" you've been listening to? Your board members and
lawyers?

(I'm sorry for the tone and the cross-posting, but we've been unable to get
the board to engage in a substantive discussion about a solution to the
bad data problem. Instead, there's just this seemingly-mindless progression
going on. I'm want to make sure the "real" mapping community knows what's
going to happen to their data and hope they'll speak up about it.)