[Rebuild] some conversation topics: API changes + tests + diffs

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 12:19:45 BST 2012

From: Ian Sergeant
> The timing decision now appears to be made on IRC, after discussion being initially directed to this list.  We're going to be open once again to criticism that this was decided by a handful of people out of sight of the community, whether or not that is case.

Yeah I agree this is not ideal. The rebuild list gets left in a state where angry discussion seems to be in deadlock, which is bad, but then discussion is flowing a little more on IRC.  Maybe this is the best way to reach agreements quickly and be more friendly to eachother, but yes it makes me uncomfortable particularly if there's no updates posted to this list.

There continues to be a lot of discussion on IRC today. I've been chatting on #osm-dev, but there's doubtless other channels and discussions I'm not aware of. Let me try to summarise some topics and maybe we can pick up the discussion here:

* API changes:  This is going to be the next thing. It's important the sysadmins are on board and happy with the plans to deploy some code changes, and it would make sense if we could get that ready in time to deploy during the same read-only time (after moving the database for several days). Actually the changes are fairly simple. New database columns to store redactions information, and new hooks to allow the bots to insert this information. Although I said it's the next thing, my understanding is that it's progressing well, and not particularly an area where help is needed.

* The bots themselves are where the complexity is at, and (correct me if I'm wrong but) I think here's where help can usefully be given still, and still in the form of tests: https://github.com/zerebubuth/openstreetmap-license-change

* Diffs: I think we're agreed the diffs will be, in some sense, interrupted, to prevent passive data consuming servers "accidentally" receiving the delete actions which the bots will be running. And I think we're agreed that we'd like consumers to re-base their consuming off a new ODbL planet file later on. But Derick was pointing out, although not particularly useful to data consumers,  it might be useful to some people e.g. for visualisations, if we can continue to provide diffs of the edits taking place during the rebuild process.

As I say, these things should be discussed on here. That's why I'm relaying this here. I wouldn't dream of trying to speak as a manager or anything. It could be better to hear from Dermot, and I'm keen to know his views on all of this, but I think he's on a flight right now, and certainly suffering from some kind of exhaustion!

So yeah   ...discuss

Harry