[Rebuild] Community feedback required - significance of word reversal in names

Mon May 7 23:15:44 BST 2012

At 2012-05-07 14:45, Dermot McNally wrote:
>  The test case takes an instance of a Russian language street name, first
> added by an agreeing mapper, then the words reversed by a non-agreeing
> mapper: Original name: ул. Гая Reversed version: Гая ул. Aside:
> both version are abbreviated. It turns out that "ул." is Russian for
> "street" (or similar), and that there is no strong convention in Russian
> concerning the better order in which to write names of this sort.

Not even among OSMers? Or maybe the RU Wikipedians?

>  The test as written contends that the change made by the non-agreeing
> mapper is not significant. I tend to agree that the change isn't
> significant. Likewise I'm not aware of other languages in which it would
> be a significant change to reverse the word order of a 2-word string.

If I understand the case correctly, and what "significant" means, I
disagree. In the US, if I understand your example correctly, a similar
example would be

"MLK Blvd" (abbreviation of "Martin Luther King Boulevard", incorrect
because of abbreviation) vs.
"Blvd MLK" (similarly incorrect for abbreviation, but also doesn't match
any signage or usage (may not be the same in RU)

While both are incorrect, I would still consider it a significant change if
the order matters, as it _does_ in the US.

If there is no street type and/or no abbreviation, it's more certainly
significant (and wrong):

"Babbling Brook" vs "Brook Babbling"
"Thomas St" vs "St Thomas"
etc.