[Rebuild] Community feedback required - significance of word reversal in names

Eugene Sandulenko sev.mail+osm at gmail.com
Mon May 7 23:28:04 BST 2012

On 8 May 2012 01:15, Alan Mintz <Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net> wrote:
> At 2012-05-07 14:45, Dermot McNally wrote:
>>
>>  The test case takes an instance of a Russian language street name, first
>> added by an agreeing mapper, then the words reversed by a non-agreeing
>> mapper: Original name: ул. Ð“Ð°Ñ  Reversed version: Ð“Ð°Ñ  ул. Aside:
>> both version are abbreviated. It turns out that "ул." is Russian for
>> "street" (or similar), and that there is no strong convention in Russian
>> concerning the better order in which to write names of this sort.
>

> Not even among OSMers? Or maybe the RU Wikipedians?
There are definite rules, and position of the toponym varies. Here is
a shortened link to these rules: http://bit.ly/hR3m2U

> If I understand the case correctly, and what "significant" means, I
> disagree. In the US, if I understand your example correctly, a similar
> example would be
>
> "MLK Blvd" (abbreviation of "Martin Luther King Boulevard", incorrect
> because of abbreviation) vs.
> "Blvd MLK" (similarly incorrect for abbreviation, but also doesn't match any
> signage or usage (may not be the same in RU)
>
> While both are incorrect, I would still consider it a significant change if
> the order matters, as it _does_ in the US.
It absolutely doesn't matter in Russian or in other Slavic languages
in case of putting together 'Name + toponym". Both variants are used,
and there were even strong debates about the rules which I mentioned
above.

Eugene