[Routing] OSM data routing import tool

Daniel W gentoo.murray at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 18:05:26 BST 2008

Hello,

I searched for a tool, which imports the openstreetmap data in a
postgresql database and can be used for routing. This is some months
ago and then I only found a python tool, which didn't really work for
me. Another tool, osm2psqgl, which is mentioned in the openstreetmap
wiki, imports the data, but doesn't split the ways in separate ways,
if they are connected to other ways... So it isn't very useful for
routing.

Ok, I wrote myself a c++ program, which split the ways and write the
data in a postgresql database. Also it will create automatically a
routing table. You just need to install postgresql, postgis, pgrouting
and to setup a database.

Here you can find a "demo", which works with firefox, opera (... and
with IE I am not sure).
http://fbvpc066.fh-oldenburg.de/~projektgis/ProjektGIS/start.html

For example, type "Hamburg" in the "Startadresse" field and "Berlin"
in the "Zieladresse" field, after some seconds you should see 2
points, which represents the two cities and a green line, which is the
route ;)
No, it doesn't work with street addresses at the moment.

If you are interested, you can get the source code under the GPL
and/or I could host it on a platform like sourceforge...

But don't expect too much. It was a student project and I think there
are still some bugs.

I import for the project only the motorway, primary and secondary
tagged data and forget the motorway_link... so dont be surprised, if
the motorway isnt used ;)

Some technical informations:
I am using a Fedora Core Server with an Intel Xeon 2,1 Ghz and 2 GiB ram.
And importing the data and creating the routing table have taken about
30 hours for the data from germany.

Best regards,
Daniel