[Routing] [OSM-talk] www.OpenRouteService.org now supports Bicycle Routing with OSM Data

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jul 8 10:03:50 BST 2008

Hi,

> More than 4 times in the open source community (RoadNav, NavIt, etc).

And Pyroute and Gosmore and the TIGER-based open source apps that
were there before OSM even existed. And pgrouting, the boost graph
library and graphserver, all of which do routing and pre-date OSM.

> At least if we do it once properly with PD sources, there's a chance
> that we will encourage all these little shareware projects now
> springing up to build on top of instead of from scratch.

I don't believe this will ever work. There are tons of reasons for
implementing an algorithm on your own:

- the programming language might not be the one you want to use
- the software might be written and commented in a (natural) language
that you are not comfortable with
- it might be written on a different intellectual level than you
would do it, and so it is either too primitive or too complex for
your taste
- it might have optimizations that are unnecesasry for your case, and
lack others that you would like to have (e.g. the memory/speed tradeoff)
- you want the satisfaction and learning curve of implementing
something yourself
- ...

Haven't you done the very same yourself - written a routing app
although you could have used existing libraries?

Bye
Frederik