[OSM-Science] Special Issue on "Advances in Applications of Volunteered Geographic Information" in the journal Remote Sensing

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Thu Sep 5 11:07:25 UTC 2019

I appreciate the renewed interest in the subject and my commentary on
the term.  Not everyone might have seen that i have written the blog
post back in 2015.

Thanks for the various pointers to literature dealing with terminology
of crowd sourced geodata.  Although none of those i have looked at
takes a deeper critical look at the term VGI itself this is interesting
read.  Most of this deals with the most obvious limitation of the term
VGI (more obvious than the problems i pointed out probably) that it
does not include the meanwhile economically very significant field on
non-volunteered or non-consciously volunteered crowd sourced data.
This played still less of a role back in 2015 and it is obviously not
that significant from an OpenStreetMap perspective but it is clearly a
problem if you are doing research about both types of data.

What i find interesting in the comments received is that there is very
little critique of my analysis and arguments in substance and most
resposes seem to concentrate on justifying use of the term despite
agreeing with my analysis.  That i would frankly consider
non-scientific.  For real progress in science you need to question the
assumptions and preconceptions of your field.  If you use an evidently
non-fitting or inprecise term because you are used to it, because all
your peers do so or because an important authority in your field
(Goodchild) does so or for similar reasons you are not doing that.

Regarding Goodchild's use of the term - it is my impression (which might
well be wrong) that the point he was consciously trying to make with
this was to contrast crowd sourced geodata gathering methods based on
local knowledge of individuals about their personal environment
specifically with authoritive mapping by government agencies and not
necessarily to contrast it with all geodata gathering by professionals.
What i consider the timeless contribution of Goodchild is that he
picked up on the observations of Estes and Mooneyhan:

https://www.asprs.org/wp-content/uploads/pers/1994journal/may/1994_may_517-524.pdf

about the decline of the overall quality of available geodata and
suggesting that crowd sourced geodata gathered through digital means
might help to overcome this problem.  The collection of various
examples of crowd sourced data collection practically existing at that
time under the term of VGI - which is what Goodchild is most frequently
cited for - i would not consider very significant because it is based
on a snapshot impression of the crowd sourced data landscape back then
which was extremely volatile and soon after became obsolete.

What happened afterwards, the collective attempt to superficially
extrapolate this ad hoc invention of a term for the situation at the
moment into a quickly changing environment over the course of meanwhile
12 years (which also saw - lets not forget that - the massive raise of
another significant column of geodata gathering in the form of data
gathered through remote sensing and automatic analysis of remote
sensing data) as a buzzword and marketing chiffre, is not something you
can blame Goodchild for.  What i am not sure about is if the reframing
of the term VGI from a distinction between crowd sourced data derived
from individuals' local knowledge by these individuals and data
gathered indirectly by government agency workers to a professional
quality data vs amateur fiddlings distinction was already at least
subconsciously part of Goodchild's use of the term.  But that is
ultimately not that important.

Again - my hope is that people working in this field take my comments as
an incentive to reflect on their use of the term VGI and that using it
in a publication in a non-critical form might ultimately say more about
your methodological approach to the subject than about the subject
itself.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/