[OSM-Science] Calculating a global SDG using OpenStreetMap

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 15:59:36 UTC 2020

Thanks for sharing Ross. Absolutely welcome here.

I was wondering if there's any analysis of the ReCAP country-specific data
compared to OSM that leads to the conclusion the ReCAP data is better? Is
this data that could potentially help OSM?

On the scale of your analysis it would probably not make much difference,
but you seem to be excluding certain highway=* values. It is safer to work
with a list if inclusions instead. For example, your dataset might include
raceway, construction, platform or corridor. Maybe those are already
excluded in the Mapbox QA tiles, I don't know.

Joost

Op vr 10 jan. 2020 om 19:54 schreef Ross Bernet <rbernet at azavea.com>:

> Hello,
>
> This is my first post here, hopefully this is an appropriate message for
> this list.
>
> I wanted to share a tool that Azavea created that uses OpenStreetMap to
> calculate a global Sustainable Development Goal that looks at rural road
> access.
>
> The tool is here:
> rai.azavea.com
>
> And more info about the tool and context here:
>
> https://www.azavea.com/blog/2019/12/20/calculating-rural-road-access-globally-using-open-datasets/
>
> I welcome any feedback!
>
> I think there is a great opportunity to use more OpenStreetMap data for
> calculating Sustainable Development Goals, and would love to get in touch
> with anyone doing similar work.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> --
> *Ross Bernet, Project Manager*
> Azavea | 990 Spring Garden Street, 5th Floor, Philadelphia, PA
> rbernet at azavea.com | office: 215.701.7717 <%2B1-215-701-7717>  | mobile:
> 858.692.1872 <%2B1-858-692-1872>
>
> *Azavea
> <https://azavea.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=rossb>
> is a B Corporation <http://www.bcorporation.net/what-are-b-corps> - we
> apply geospatial technology for civic and social impact **while advancing
> the state-of-the-art through research. Join us
> <https://careers.azavea.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=rossb>.*

Joost Schouppe
OpenStreetMap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/> |
Twitter <https://twitter.com/joostjakob> | LinkedIn