[OSM-Science] Calculating a global SDG using OpenStreetMap

Ross Bernet rbernet at azavea.com
Thu Jan 23 15:13:20 UTC 2020

Joost,

Thanks for the reply.

I will try to answer your questions below inline. Along with a suggestion /
request for interest in a panel for the UN World Data Forum in Bern.
<https://github.com/geotrellis/geotrellis-road-distance-sdg/releases>

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:00 AM joost schouppe <joost.schouppe at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for sharing Ross. Absolutely welcome here.

Thanks!!

> I was wondering if there's any analysis of the ReCAP country-specific data
> compared to OSM that leads to the conclusion the ReCAP data is better? Is
> this data that could potentially help OSM?

It's possible that OSM is more complete than "official data" However. It's
a bit more complicated than saying one dataset is better.
The SDGs work to follow the concept of official statistics from the UNSD
<https://unstats.un.org/unsd/dnss/gp/Implementation_Guidelines_FINAL_without_edit.pdf>.
I am not an expert on this. But my understanding is that official
statistics need to be validated by National Statistic Offices (NSO). Most
countries have an NSO. NSOs often work with groups like Transportation
Agencies to gather and approve official data. I believe there is the
potential for legal entanglement depending on what dataset is official.
That said, I see a lot of opportunity for better integration of OSM with
NSOs. But I don't know exactly what that looks like, although I am quite
interested in learning more if anyone has expertise.

There is a conference in Bern, Switzerland this October: The UN World Data
Forum. <https://unstats.un.org/unsd/undataforum/index.html> It's last
minute, as the deadline is Jan 31, but I am interested in putting together
a proposal for a panel to discuss OSM + SDGs, as I think this would be
an appropriate venue to have the discussion. I'd welcome the input of
anyone who may be interested in participating in such a panel. Or perhaps
someone else is already organizing one!

> On the scale of your analysis it would probably not make much difference,
> but you seem to be excluding certain highway=* values. It is safer to work
> with a list if inclusions instead. For example, your dataset might include
> raceway, construction, platform or corridor. Maybe those are already
> excluded in the Mapbox QA tiles, I don't know.

That's a great point. We do filter:
<https://github.com/geotrellis/geotrellis-road-distance-sdg/releases> OSM
highway tag is NOT one of path, steps, bridleway, footway, track (road is
not motor road)