[Tagging] Coastlines and structures

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Tue Dec 8 15:21:32 GMT 2009

2009/12/8 David Fawcett <david.fawcett at gmail.com>:
> I have a few questions on best/standard practices for delineating
> coastlines and tagging the features.
>
> 1.  Is there general agreement on where the primary water body ends
> and a contributing river starts?

Last I heard it was a judgement call. Dependant upon Tidal Water end,
Bridges, Current, Man made Structures etc. and also when people
generally stopped calling it the "Sea" and started calling it the
"River",

> I am thinking of an area where the PGS data cuts a large bay/estuary.
> The line was defined by a bridge crossing the water, my assumption is
> that this line was chosen because the bridge was incorrectly
> interpreted as land.  Ocean-going ships pass under this bridge to the
> water behind it.
>
> 2.  Coastline delineation around structures.  Based on reading old
> posts and wiki pages, it seems like the general practice for solid
> structures, like harbor walls and jettys is that the coastline follows
> the edge of these features and then an additional area is defined to
> delineate the structure itself.
>
> For piers, constructed on pilings where water flows through the
> pilings, should the coastline follow the solid shoreline, or should it
> follow the outline of the pier?  I guess, is coastline determined
> based on navigability or by the ability of water to flow?
>
> Any input would be great.

Its the Flow of Water that counts. so the coastline does not include
any piers bridges that over hang.

This is what I understood after the last thread on this on Talk.

Peter