[Tagging] bicycle=no

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Dec 8 15:25:10 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 3:07 AM, Mike Harris <mikh43 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I don't think highway=footway / cycleway etc. implies anything at all about
> legal status - only about suitability for use, as judged on the ground from
> observation and signage, as a more informative tag than highway=path.

Well, highway=footway / cycleway, etc. implies not generally legal for cars
and trucks, does it not?  How is Broadway around Times Square currently
tagged?  (Answer is highway=pedestrian, which I guess isn't footway or
cycleway.  Is it etc?)

Many of these solutions are great in theory, but still require someone to
step in and enforce it, no exceptions.

Not being a big bicycle rider, I have no idea what ways are "suitable for
use" in bicycling.  And I suspect that's not an objective standard anyway.
Suitability for use in bicycling is not binary.