[Tagging] A first step towards bringing the wiki and tool support closer together

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Dec 8 16:53:33 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 3:27 AM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> - we promote the bad habit "tagging for the renderer"
>>

> Tagging this argument further, we should do everything possible to prevent
> people finding out what tags are supported by each renderer. That doesn't
> make sense.

Only because it's impossible :).  Seriously, there's a difference between
trying (unsuccessfully) to prevent people from finding out what tags are
supported by each renderer and actively promoting it.

Also, there are good uses to finding out what tags are supported by each
renderer.  It can indicate a place where the tags and/or tag definitions
need to be improved.  It can - but that doesn't mean it necessarily does.
Sometimes the renderer is just wrong, or not as up to date.

Information about tag support is a *good* thing, not a bad one. I now
> realise that Mapnik doesn't recognise *any* sport=* tags, but that's not
> going to stop me using them. But it will make me be careful to always use it
> with a tag that it *does* support as well. See how this is beneficial?

Actually, I think that's a good example of the harmfulness in tagging for a
renderer.  We shouldn't have redundant data in the database, at least when
this is at all feasible.