[Tagging] A first step towards bringing the wiki and tool support closer together

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 22:09:13 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Information about tag support is a *good* thing, not a bad one. I now
> realise that Mapnik doesn't recognise *any* sport=* tags, but that's not
> going to stop me using them. But it will make me be careful to always use it
> with a tag that it *does* support as well. See how this is beneficial?

I don't see how this is beneficial. As others have said, it just
encourages tagging for the *current implementation of* the renderer,
as opposed to tagging with a long-term view.

I strongly think taggers should not be influenced by the current
implementation of a handful of renderers. This yes/no information may
be beneficial, however, to those wanting to improve renderer style
files, i.e. to see which features they have yet to consider rendering.