[Tagging] A first step towards bringing the wiki and tool support closer together

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Dec 9 00:42:33 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Cartinus <cartinus at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 December 2009 17:53:33 Anthony wrote:
> > >Information about tag support is a *good* thing, not a bad one. I now
> > >
> > > realise that Mapnik doesn't recognise *any* sport=* tags, but that's
> not
> > > going to stop me using them. But it will make me be careful to always
> use
> > > it with a tag that it *does* support as well. See how this is
> beneficial?
> >
> > Actually, I think that's a good example of the harmfulness in tagging for
> > renderer.  We shouldn't have redundant data in the database, at least
> when
> > this is at all feasible.
>
> Wow, so now it is already harmfull to osm to know you have to map
> leisure=sports_centre|pitch|track|etc in addition to sport=* to have it
> show
> up with renderer X, but with renderer Y there would be no need for that.

No, sorry for the confusion.  The wiki is clear about sport=*: "Since this
is a non-physical tag it should be combined with one of these (physical)
tags"

It has nothing to do with the renderer, though.  In fact, the wiki
specifically cautions you not to worry about the renderer: "Though most of
these tags are rendered when used stand-alone, a combination with a physical
tag is strongly encouraged to avoid misunderstandings."