[Tagging] parking

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 08:33:31 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

>>In that case maybe we should continue trying to bend "access" to fit the
>> purpose,
>
> This is not so wrong, imho, if "access=" means "use is restricted to". "Use"
> for a road means driving, "use" for a parking lot means parking, "use" for a
> sports ground means walking around on it...

Ok, so it looks like we're back to access=destination then :).

>>Commercial doesn't fit here - equivalent to public.
>
> For me, there is a fairly big distinction between a commercial carpark,
> likely to charge $7+ per hour, and local council-managed parking, likely to
> charge $0-3 per hour. I don't need to know the exact price, but being able
> to distinguish the two would be helpful.

I meant, in terms of "who is allowed to use the parking", commercial
is equivalent to public - i.e. anyone can use it. To talk about "the
cost of using the parking", I would suggest using fee=*
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dparking)