[Tagging] A first step towards bringing the wiki and tool support closer together

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Wed Dec 9 09:02:38 GMT 2009

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm2pgsql
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/export/osm2pgsql/

> > People can check it, improve it
>

> Well, improve the generation method. Hand tweaking would be the wrong
> approach.

Thats what I meant.

> > and get some experience about its usefulness.
> >
> > Just an idea: If you really want to check what the renderer renders and
> > what
> > not, how about creating a osm test file with all the different tags ins
> > there,
> > send it through the renderer and check whether the bitmap is empty. If it
> > contains something in the right spot, you know the tag is supported. This
> > is
> > totally renderer and style agnostic reasonably easy to automate.
> >

> Yes...but from what I gather, getting Mapnik installed locally is quite
> complex. Or maybe I'm confusing it with getting slippymap/tileserver
> installed. I'm new to all this.

Its not that difficult if you have some Linux background. The most difficult
part is getting the database setup right, the a little fiddly. But it has
to be done only once for this idea. :-)

Jochen