[Tagging] bicycle=no

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 10:29:16 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Richard Mann <
richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Steve - dip your toe in the Smoothness debate on the wiki, and recoil with
> horror that people have devoted so much time to arguing over suitability
> measures.

Heh, I've only seen the results of it so far. How on earth did they come up
with "very horrible"? :) The best thing is, the photos of "very horrible"
look "very mild" to me, compared to some of the really bad surfaces out
there.

> You can get a basic classification of physical attributes using the highway
> tag (especially when you know that 99% of the use of "path" is for unpaved
> footways). Something like bicycle:defacto probably allows you to record
> informal access, if the bicycle (legal) tag is insufficient.

Is "bicycle:defacto=*" even required? Wouldn't "bicycle=defacto" work? I
guess the only thing you're losing is the ability to say "bicycles are
definitely prohibited, but ridden anyway".

Steve