[Tagging] A first step towards bringing the wiki and tool support closer together

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Wed Dec 9 11:11:15 GMT 2009

2009/12/9 Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 4:40 AM, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Craig Wallace <craigw84 at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>>
>>> See these pages:
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tagging_for_the_renderer
>>>
>>> As that page says, its probably more acurrate to say "Don't deliberately tag
>>> incorrectly for the renderer".
>>
>> Yup, but to "tag *correctly* for the renderer" is simply to "tag correctly". :P
>
> Yes but people say "don't tag for the renderer" which a horrible meme,
> I say "always tag for the renderer". If there is not visual feedback
> you are doing it wrong (except in keepright).

By "Don't Tag for the renderer" we generally mean don't tag for one
particular renderer, Its like writing a website for IE that does not
work in Firefox; Not a good idea.

We also mean "Don't Lie so it looks right" If your data needs tweaking
to work well with one render say Mapnik its not your data that's wrong
its probably Mapnik.

By all means tag for the renderers (plural) and any other tools that
use thee data. Just ensure it works in more than one not just your
favourite.

Peter.