[Tagging] A first step towards bringing the wiki and tool support closer together

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 23:15:06 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Jonathan Bennett
<openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk> wrote:
> Erik Johansson wrote:
>> Yes but people say "don't tag for the renderer" which a horrible meme,
>> I say "always tag for the renderer". If there is not visual
>> feedbackyou are doing it wrong (except in keepright).

> Only using a tag because it appears in a renderer style sheet (or
> conversely not using one just because it doesn't) is a pretty good
> definition of "tagging for the renderer".

Well, I might admit I'm taking an extreme view, but you are flying
high on abstractions. That's the problem with the "Don't tag for the
renderer", too abstract.

leisure=golf_course:
bunker: natural=beach
water: natural=water
start point (tee?): highway=pedestrian

If I did  this I would get something rendered on the map, instant
feedback and it would be a pretty good representation of what was
there.

or from the blog post:
k:golf; v:fairway
k:golf; v:green
k:golf; v:bunker
k:golf; v:tee # added in the same spirit.

or a mix

reposting links:
OSM data link:
http://osm.org/go/ZH@96QqbY--?layers=B000FTT