[Tagging] A first step towards bringing the wiki and tool support closer together

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 00:53:42 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com> wrote:

> leisure=golf_course:
> bunker: natural=beach
> water: natural=water
> start point (tee?): highway=pedestrian

Excellent example. I'd tag the water that way (and possibly also
golf:water_hazard or whatever), but tagging the bunker as a beach is a
stretch.

We should recognise that not all renderers will ever support all tags (do we
really expect widespread support for golf course holes?), so we should use
fall-back tags. "natural=water" is not as specific, for golfers, as "lateral
water hazard", but it's going to have very widespread support. So a
golf-specific renderer should expect water areas that are tagged as both
natural=water and some more specific tag.

IMVHO.

Steve