[Tagging] bicycle=no

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Thu Dec 10 11:00:54 GMT 2009

On 09/12/2009, at 3:30 AM, Mike Harris wrote:

> Personally - and I'm probably wrong! - I had always thought that foot / bicycle = yes / no etc. did not say anything one way or the other about formal legal status (hence leaving this to designation= ) but merely whether the evidence on the ground (whether signage - which may or may not have strictly legal significance - or physical condition or even local custom) suggested that the way was appropriate for the user group concerned.

I don't think there is really a right an a wrong here, but I use those tags in the completely opposite way - foot/bicycle=yes meaning you are legally allowed to go there, and *=designated/designation=* meaning there is a sign.

The big problem with sorting this mess out is all the existing data used different ways. I think the only way to handle it would be to split it into two or more tags, and deprecate the old one.