[Tagging] A second step towards bringing the wiki and tool support closer together

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 12:28:32 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I'll see if I can extend my xslt mangling to detect this kind
> of thing. Looks possible with a couple of regexes.

After about 4 hours work, I have added a grand total of ...about 35 new tags
to the Mapnik list.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Stevage/mapnik
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Stevage/osmarender

They must be getting more complete now. Pretty clear that osmarender
supports a lot more tags than mapnik does.

The only keys I have that mapnik recognises and osmarender doesn't are:
 addr:flats, capital, housenumber, interpolation, layer (presumably a false
negative), length (?), poi, point, residence, source (actually mapnik
explicitly just discards this), way_area, and z_order.

Some keys that osmarender apparently recognises that mapnik doesn't:
abandoned, border_type, cycleway (interesting to note, although it actually
does show up in osm2pgsql), denomination, dismantled, fee, fireplace,
information, motor_vehicle, motorroad, mountain_pass, noexit:*, planned,
proposed (these two would appear to contradict the wiki, which says not to
map proposed roads under penalty of death), sac_scale,status,track,
traffic_calming,two_sided, type, use_status,wetland.

Are we at the point where this leads to interesting observations, yet?

Steve