[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 07:44:35 GMT 2009

If I trace (from aerial imagery) a path that I'm pretty sure would be
great to ride on, and that appears to have been made nice and wide for
cyclists, could/should I tag this as highway=cycleway? I know that
pedestrians are probably welcome to walk on it as well (in Australia,
no one is going to kick a pedestrian off a bikeway like the one I am
referring to).

Could/should I add an additional tag to clarify that I really don't
know the legal status/designation/whatever of the path? If yes, what
should that additional tag be?

The current wiki definition of highway=cycleway is "mainly or
exclusively for bicycles". This I cannot be sure of from the aerial
imagery, nor can I of anything to do with the law. What to do...