[Tagging] bicycle=no

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Dec 17 19:48:23 GMT 2009

David Calder wrote:

> As a travelling cyclist I need to know if I am going to be able to take a
> particular road or not before I get there. I know bicycles are not permitted
> on motorways/autobahns/autovias etc so I suspect that it is implied that
> bicycle=no on roads designated as such on the Map.

I keep suggesting this needs to be changed, as the Vienna Convention on
Traffic Control (of which the entire first world is a member of)
defaults all roads of all priorities to bicycle=yes unless otherwise
posted.  In the US, for example, most freeways are open to cyclists
except in limited areas where exits are too difficult to cross or
motorists pose a bigger threat than usual to nonmotorized traffic
(thusly, motorway restrictions for bicycles tends to be an east coast
and California-only thing outside major cities).