[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat Dec 12 09:01:53 GMT 2009

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009, Richard Mann wrote:
> There's an awful lot of cycleways already, so your definition has to
> recognise that.
I assume that something which is marked as a cycleway really is one

> The argument in Europe is whether cycleways are by default
> shared (UK / Dutch norm), or by default single-use (the German position).
I have found today that the Australian position is default single-use but it
is customary to sign the cycleway according to its legal use.
Singleuse cycleways in Australia are however in a minority - almost all are
shared or separated paths.

> There's no real argument over the physical (minimal obstructions for road
> bikes / no cars), though there is argument over what should be done about
> paths that are nearly but not quite.
The design criteria I found suggested that there are marked differences with
maximum gradient, width and forward visibility. The pdf to follow in a
separate mail to beat the 40Kb limit is courtesy of Tweed Shire Council,
minimum design standards from the Austroads guidelines