[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 13:53:41 GMT 2009

I don't understand why this discussion is (again) happening on this
list. Every two monthes, the australians and americans are complaining
here that the current definitions of cycleway/path are not clear and
should be redefined or even better deprecated. I just wanted to say
that what is on the wiki in english is a compromise for all countries
since more than a year now. The tags apply in a huge amount of
objects. If a country is not happy about the definition, he can
improve it in its own wiki page with its local rules/practices. This
is done by many countries now in the wiki. It seems that australiens
and americans are just considering the problem differently because the
main wiki pages are in english and they feel responsible to adapt the
definitions for the whole world.
So please, go ahead with your own definitions and usages of
path/cycleway but in your local-talk-list's and wiki's.

Pieren

PS: in France, we have a similare definition of cycleway/path as
Germans. Don't consider what is done in one country the "minority" and
what is done in yours "the majority".