[Tagging] Comparison of tag support: Mapnik, Osmarender, Potlatch, JOSM, Kosmos, Map Features (wiki)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Dec 14 08:26:03 GMT 2009

Hi,

Peteris Krisjanis wrote:
> By the way, isn't this moment where we should talk how to do seperate
> maps/layers for osm.org and how to deal with different kind of maps in
> general? It is clear that road and traffic map won't have all shops
> rendered (that would be serious overload of information), etc. Yes, we
> have already examples with public transport and cycling, but shouldn't
> something be done with concept itself, for people who wants to use
> openstreetmap.org?

No. openstreetmap.org is not intended to become "the better Google
Maps". openstreetmap.org is a showcase for what you can do with our
data. It cannot, and will not, host every map that someone could
possibly want made from our data.

Our data is there for the taking - you want OpenShopMap, create OpenShopMap.

Bye
Frederik