[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 09:18:02 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> I think I am having a deja-vu. The very reason people added the
> highway=path proposal (almost exactly 2 years ago) was to "provide a
> value for a nonspecific or multi-use path."
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Path).

Did it catch on? As I said in my other post, Mapnik renders it totally
differently to either footway or cycleway. Is that an anomaly or an
accurate reflection of current usage?

Either way I'm pretty sure that there are lots of "highway=path" out
there intended to mean dirt paths, whereas I would say both
"highway=footway" and "highway=cycleway" would mean paved by default.

Steve