[Tagging] Comparison of tag support: Mapnik, Osmarender, Potlatch, JOSM, Kosmos, Map Features (wiki)

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 14 10:17:23 GMT 2009

Am 13.12.2009 11:35, schrieb Steve Bennett:
> Sorry for the spam. Sort of. :)
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Stevage/tagsupport
>
> This is getting interesting. Side by side are now Mapnik, Osmarender,
> Potlatch, JOSM, Kosmos, and the Map Features wiki page. It's rather
> amusing, if a little depressing, seeing how little correlation there
> is. In particular, documenting a tag in the wiki seems to have little
> relationship with how well supported it is. The number of redlinks
> (undocumented tags) is also somewhat alarming - we should get into the
> practice of documenting every tag, regardless of whether it has any
> "official" status.
>
> Your comments welcome!

Stephan Wolff gave some comments on talk-de that I'll try to translate:

a) which versions of the programs / rules are displayed? How old is the
table?

b) what does "highway=*" or "man_made=*" mean?

c) why is that "power=line" and "power=tower" and lot's of others
displayed in the map have no entry in the Mapnik column?

d) will a tag be displayed as node, way, area or only one of them?

e) for mapnik and osmarender the minimum zoomlevel would be helpful

My comments on this:
a) a creation date would be really nice
b) was obvious for me - but I'm a developer myself :-)
c) maybe a bug?
d) would be helpful but probably clutter the table a lot
e) would be helpful but not critical (any probably clutter the table a lot)

The questions were already answered on talk-de, but this might give you
an idea of what the table is missing for the interest of "normal
mappers" :-)

Regards, ULFL