[Tagging] Comparison of tag support: Mapnik, Osmarender, Potlatch, JOSM, Kosmos, Map Features (wiki)

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Mon Dec 14 20:56:52 GMT 2009

> The rendering rules doesn't matter a lot in this regard. It only
> displays a cycleway with a certain color, thickness and such - so it can
> be recognized as a cycleway. What the mapper wants to describe with
> highway=cycleway and what a map user understands out of this is
> basically out of the scope of the map display.

  One case that isn't handled cleanly today is where a multiuse trail is
blazed with a specific color.   The renderer could show this in a generic
manner (path / foot/ cycle).  Or a renderer could use a color suggestion so
that the rendered color matches the trail blaze.    So I'm adding a direct
rendering suggestion to the OSM data, but it's based on local observation.

  Today, I create a relation
  type=route
  color=#xxxxx
  route=foot

  - I see variations on  color / colour
  route=foot doesn't fit multiuse, so I add bicycle=yes to the relation.