[Tagging] Comparison of tag support: Mapnik, Osmarender, Potlatch, JOSM, Kosmos, Map Features (wiki)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Dec 14 13:29:38 GMT 2009

Hi,

Mike N. wrote:
>> No. openstreetmap.org is not intended to become "the better Google
>> Maps". openstreetmap.org is a showcase for what you can do with our
>> data. It cannot, and will not, host every map that someone could
>> possibly want made from our data.
>>
>> Our data is there for the taking - you want OpenShopMap, create
>> OpenShopMap.
>
> I would be happy to see shop=* added to Mapnik, even if the name takes
> the lowest priority for available space.

I wasn't arguing specifically against shops, I was just saying that we
cannot possibly have *everything* on the map, and a decision has to be
made. We still want the map to appeal to people visually because (as I
said) it is there as a showcase, not as an end product - if the web page
gives people the impression "OSM maps are cluttered because everyone can
put in whatever stuff they want" then that's counterproductive.

Bye
Frederik