[Tagging] Should 'highway=incline[_steep]' be discouraged?

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Tue Dec 29 17:01:25 GMT 2009

Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Matthias Julius <lists at julius-net.net> wrote:
>>
>>> But that's my point - sure, you don't want to lose "semantics" i.e.
>>> "meaning". But IMHO "steep" is *meaningless*.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because it's not well defined. If you want to define "steep" as
> meaning "greater than or equal to 15% incline", THEN it has meaning.
> But until then, it's meaningless.

If you know the actual incline you can tag it with its value.  If you
have to estimate it anyway then a hard definition on what is steep is
not worth that much anymore.

It is a subjective classification - not more and not less.  One could
think it implies a "FIXME: check for actual value".

> What I mean to say is, unless you can think of a better way to tag
> incline=* on nodes, we should encourage the use of incline=* for this
> purpose (as opposed to some other tag like inclination=* or
> steepness=*, or node_incline=* etc., which would just be silly).

I would say all the incline tags should be moved to the ways.

Matthias