[Tagging] Should 'highway=incline[_steep]' be discouraged?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Dec 29 18:20:29 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Matthias Julius <lists at julius-net.net>wrote:

> Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> writes:
> > If you want to define "steep" as
> > meaning "greater than or equal to 15% incline", THEN it has meaning.
> > But until then, it's meaningless.
>
> If you know the actual incline you can tag it with its value.  If you
> have to estimate it anyway then a hard definition on what is steep is
> not worth that much anymore.

It's certainly worth something.  If I know steep is "greater than or equal
to 15% incline", and I estimate an incline is between 15% and 20%, then I
know it's steep.  Whereas, without that definition, I have no idea whether
or not "between 15% and 20%" is steep.

> I would say all the incline tags should be moved to the ways.

Moved how, by going out and resurveying them?  I guess in most cases you
could get a topography map, in order to find the direction of the incline,
then split the way into three ways, with the middle one being really really
short, and then tag the middle one with the incline tag.  That wouldn't
require resurveying.  But I don't see much benefit to doing that, either.

Ideally we'd have elevation tags on each node, and incline tags would then
become redundant.