[Tagging] Should 'highway=incline[_steep]' be discouraged?

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 00:23:18 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Matthias Julius <lists at julius-net.net> wrote:

> So, what is steep then?  15% or more?

I personally don't care, because I won't use it. Ask a civil engineer
or look at some regulations and choose something meaningful?

>>> I would say all the incline tags should be moved to the ways.
>>
>> As Anthony said, this isn't equivalent, unless it's moved to a new way
>> with infinitesimal length.
>
> or to a relation that indicates that a way has an incline at a certain
> node.  You could call this overkill, of course, but it has the advantage
> to be more robust when the data is changed, especially when another way
> is added to that node.

Hmm that's true. This is a very similar idea to the proposed
Relation:type=stop, i.e. using a way to indicate direction, and a node
to indicate location - and a relation to link the two
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Relation:type%3Dstop)

I think Relation:type=stop is an ok idea - so, not surprisingly, I
think your Relation:type=incline idea is also ok.