[Tagging] Highway property proposal "covered=yes"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 10:52:10 GMT 2009

2009/11/2 Randy <rwtnospam-newsgp at yahoo.com>

> I did look up the definition of tunnel in my Webster's Unabridged, and
> will concede that, that particular dictionary did seemingly restrict it to
> underground. However, in the verb form it defined creating a passage under
> or through something.

So I guess if you tunnel through an above ground
> object you are creating something other than a tunnel. That's supposed to
> make sense?

yes

Here is some examples (talk-de) what some people think to be accurately
tagged as tunnel whilst it will obfuscate the database if we would.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%BCckenrasthaus_Frankenwald

this one is not rendered correctly if just using layer=1 on the building due
to mapnik rules (they always render ways above buildings and do not respect
layers for these cases).

http://www.blogwiese.ch/wp-content/emmitunnel.jpg

this one produces the "obstacle-problem" you would not have with a real
tunnel.

cheers,
Martin